Official name: Republic of the Fiji Islands
Local Time = Summer UTC + 13h
Country Calling Code: +679
Capital City: Suva on the island of Viti Levu (pop. 167,000)
- Type: Parliamentary Democracy.
- Independence (from U.K.): 10 October 1970.
- Constitution: July 1997 (suspended May 2000, reaffirmed March 2001).
- Location: Oceania, island group in the South Pacific Ocean.
- Area: 18,333 km2 ()
- Terrain: Mostly mountains of volcanic origin or varied, dense tropical forest.
Climate: Tropical maritime; only slight seasonal temperature variation
Nationality: Fiji Islander; Fiji
Population: 860,000 (2010 UN est.)
GNI per capita PPP: $ 6 282 (year)
Ethnic groups: Indigenous Fijian 54%, Indo-Fijian 40%.
Religion: Christian 52% (Methodist and Roman Catholic), Hindu 33%, Muslim 7%.
Languages: English (official), Fijian, Hindi.
Natural resources: Timber, fish, gold, copper, offshore oil potential, hydropower.
Agriculture products: Sugarcane, coconuts, cassava (tapioca), rice, sweet potatoes, bananas; cattle, pigs, horses, goats; fish.
Industries: Tourism, sugar, clothing, copra, gold, silver, lumber, small cottage industries.
Exports partners: USA 23.7%, Australia 18.4%, UK 13.6%, Samoa 6%, Japan 4.8% (2003)